Sunday, March 13, 2011

Skiing in Gatineau

Still too wet to climb so I got some skiing in today. Cynthia has been/still is pretty sick and busy working too. So I went on a solo mission to Gatineau Park today and skied from P3 up the parkway to trail 5, along 5 to 15, 15 to 35, around Pink Lake and back to the car via the parkway. Not bad I thought for a beginner's 4th time out. (I ski a few times as a kid but it is like I'm skiing again for the first time.)

The round trip took just over three hours, about 15km. Man was I tired when I got back to the car. I was totally over dressed and I should have taken some water; I ate some snow at one point. Trail 5(green) is a nice trail and was easy going. Trail 15 (blue) was a winding 3.5 km climb up to Pink Lake although I was glad to be going up since I would have most likely kill myself going down this one. Trail 35 is short, like 600m, but steep going into Pink and I had to take my skis off to walk a hill (going down). The reward of all this hard work is coming down the parkway from Pink to P3. The hills are long but gentle; at least they seem this way after 15 and 35. All in all I learned lots and had a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment