Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall weather climbing

My friend Carla came to visit this past Saturday and get in some climbing before she leaves for Switzerland. It was great to see Carla again. Also, along for the trip was Dan and Mel.

Getting out climbing this time of year is hit or miss and you never know which outing will be the last, so you have to make the most of them. With that in mind I climbed nine routes (not all distinct) in the Western CWM.

We warmed up on North Wall since Carla had not touched real rock in awhile. I lead "Route B", "Route C" and "Still another Climb". Afterward it was off to Cave Wall I lead "Neruda" and followed that with a TR lap, after Carla ran up it, to move the anchors over to Security. My TR lap on Security felt relativity easy compared to past outings. Next up, "Al on the run" which went clean on TR also.

Feeling motivated I then sent "Security" on lead with the first bolt pre-clipped. The bolting on "Security" is from an era in climbing when being "bold" was important. Not only is there a ground fall potential at the beginning but there is also potential for a very serious fall between the second (last) bolt and the anchors. Security is not a sport route. Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed my lead. Anyway, we rounded out the day seconding up Mr. Toady's Dihedral after Dan lead it.

No comments:

Post a Comment